We see our mission as follows:
- Engage the community (households, businesses, and community organisations) in their energy economy, so they understand and can respond to the challenges and opportunities it presents.
- Be the number one choice for renewable energy and energy efficiency in Glastonbury, Wells and the surrounding Mendip area.
- Create energy independence for community groups, residents, and local businesses. Building local community resilience and helping future-proof the place in which we live and work!
- Provide sources of community owned and affordable renewable energy to address local fuel poverty.
- Establish a Community Benefit Fund using income generated from solar installations that will specifically target support to fuel poverty, energy efficiency and community energy initiatives.
- Ensure local employment in the renewable energy sector and encourage a strong green technology economy in and around Avalon.
Why ACE? Why now?
There are a variety of reasons that make this the right time to set up a community energy project, whilst utilising a selection of renewable energy technologies. Not least amongst these is the urgent need to build a resilient, future-proof system of energy that prioritises local needs without damaging our environment.
There are many, and wide ranging, possible funding mechanisms, which can be used to create a sustainable business model that will benefit the local community and economy (e.g. Rural Community Energy Fund, Community shares, Renewable Heat Initiative (RHI), Feed in Tariffs). ACE has been lucky enough to receive £20,000 of funding from the RCEF to get us started, allowing us to rapidly progress the organisation and our first set of installations.
More importantly than money, there are strong social drivers – such as fuel poverty and public health – that make access to affordable energy critical, especially if we are to mitigate the risks and consequences of high fuel prices, poor waste management and carbon emissions in our local community.